Sweet potato with black beans, jalapeño and avocado
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
1 hr 5 mins (Hands-on time: 10 mins, Cooking time: 55 mins)
$2.40 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 4 small sweet potatoes (about 200–250g each; see tip)
- 400g can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 long jalapeño or green chilli, seeded, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves, plus extra, to garnish
- 1/2 cup grated reduced-fat cheddar
- 1/2 firm ripe avocado, diced
- 4 cups mixed salad leaves, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Scrub sweet potatoes and pat dry with paper towel; prick all over with a fork. Place potatoes on prepared tray; bake, turning after 20 minutes, for 40–45 minutes, or until soft when pierced with a skewer. Leave cooked potatoes to cool for 10 minutes.
Step 2 Meanwhile, make filling: Mix beans with tomatoes, shallots, jalapeño (or chilli), coriander and half the cheese in a large bowl; season with cracked black pepper.
Step 3 Score potato tops lengthways with a long cut. Open potatoes gently; mash flesh lightly with a fork. Spoon one-quarter of the filling into each potato; scatter with remaining cheese. Return potatoes to oven and bake for another 5–10 minutes, or until filling is hot and cheese melts.
Step 4 Top potatoes with avocado, garnish with extra coriander and serve with mixed salad leaves.
You’ll find multipacks of small sweet potatoes at your local supermarket or greengrocer’s.
About this recipe
First published: May 2015