Full ingredients list:
- 8 small red or green capsicums
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 400g can no-added-salt lentils, rinsed, drained
- 420g can mild (or hot) chilli beans
- 400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 cup grated edam cheese
- 8 cups mixed salad leaves, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray a medium baking dish with olive oil. Cut a large circle around each capsicum stem. Pull out stem and remove seeds carefully; discard. Stand capsicums in dish, tightly packed to remain upright.
Step 2 Set a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Heat olive oil. Add onion and stir for 1–2 minutes, or until soft. Add lentils, chilli beans, tomatoes and carrot to pan; stir and simmer for 10–15 minutes, or until sauce thickens.
Step 3 Spoon lentils and sauce into capsicums, sprinkle with cheese and bake for 10–15 minutes, or until capsicums are tender and cheese is bubbling and golden.
Step 4 Serve spicy lentil-stuffed capsicums with salad leaves.
About this recipe
First published: June 2015