Fish pie with potato topping
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
1 hr 10 mins (Hands-on time: 30 mins, Cooking time: 40 mins)
$6.50 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 250g potatoes, peeled, cut into small chunks
- 1 medium head cauliflower (about 600g), trimmed, cut into large florets
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 cup reduced-fat milk
- 1 cup fish stock
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 500g ling fillets (or another white fish), cut into 3cm pieces
- 150g green prawns, peeled
- 150g hot smoked salmon, flaked
- 2 bunches broccolini, trimmed, cut lengthways
- 2 corn cobs, kernels removed, reserved
- olive-oil spray
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Add potato to a large saucepan of water. Set a steamer over pan. Bring potato to the boil. Place cauliflower in steamer, cover and steam for 15 minutes to cook both vegies. Drain potatoes.
Step 2 Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a flameproof baking dish set over medium heat on the stovetop. Add flour and stir continuously for 2 minutes. Whisk milk and fish stock into flour, a little at a time, to make a smooth sauce. Add mustard and lemon juice, whisking. Add all seafood with broccolini and corn; stir well and season with cracked black pepper. Switch off heat and set baking dish aside.
Step 3 Blitz steamed cauliflower in a food processor or blender until smooth. Add cooked potato and pulse (or blend) on low speed until vegies are well combined. Spoon cauliflower–potato mixture onto fish filling in reserved baking dish; spray with olive oil.
Step 4 Transfer dish to oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until golden. Remove pie from oven, leave to cool for 5 minutes and serve.
You can also reheat and enjoy this pie the next day.
About this recipe
First published: July 2015