Chocolate, date and cereal slice
Please log in to save or rate.
20 (makes 20)
Time to make:
35 mins (Hands-on time: 15 mins, Cooking time: 20 mins), plus 1-2 hrs chilling
$0.45 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat table spread
- 200g sweetened skim condensed milk
- 100g plain sweet biscuits
- 1 cup nuts (peanuts, pecans or cashews), roughly chopped
- 1 cup flaky cereal (cornflakes or Weet-Bix)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 200g pitted dates, finely chopped
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 20.5cm x 20.5cm x 4.5cm slice tin with a sheet of baking paper.
Step 2 Melt spread and condensed milk in a small pan over low heat.
Step 3 Crush biscuits with a rolling pin (or in a food processor) until texture resembles breadcrumbs. Combine crushed biscuits with nuts, cereal and chocolate chips in a large bowl; mix well.
Step 4 Add condensed-milk mixture and dates to dry ingredients; stir to combine. Pour mixture into prepared slice tin and cook for 15–20 minutes, or until surface turns golden brown.
Step 5 Leave slice to cool, then place in fridge for 1–2 hours, or until set. Cut slice into 20 pieces and serve.
Store this slice in an airtight container for up to three days.
About this recipe
First published: August 2015