Mushroom and watercress steak
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
40 mins (Hands-on time: 10 mins, Cooking time: 30 mins)
$7.50 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 2 bunches baby carrots, trimmed
- 1 bunch baby beetroots, trimmed
- olive oil spray
- 600g new potatoes
- 4 x 125g lean beef steaks
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped button mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 1/3 cup reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 2 cups chopped watercress
- 4 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Put carrots and beetroots on tray. Spray with olive oil and roast for 20–25 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
Step 2 Set a medium saucepan over high heat. Add potatoes; cover with water. Bring to the boil and cook for 10–15 minutes, or until tender. Drain and mash potato roughly; cover pan to keep warm.
Step 3 Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Cook onion, mushroom and herbs for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add mustard, stock and half of the watercress; cook for 5 minutes, or until watercress wilts. Add remaining watercress and sour cream; stir to heat through. Cover pan to keep warm.
Step 4 Cook steaks until done to your liking (following steps on p58). Spoon topping onto steaks. Serve with potato and roast vegies.
Four steps to the perfect steak
- Allow steak to come to room temperature. Set a frying pan over high heat. Spray or brush steak with oil and add to pan.
- Season one side of sizzling steak with cracked pepper. Cook until first sign of moisture appears; flip and cook other side.
- Cook for 1 1/2 minutes per side, turning once, for rare. Cook for 2–2 1/2 minutes per side, turning once, for medium rare/medium.
- Cook for 2 1/2–3 minutes per side for well done. (Reduce heat if turning twice.) Turn onto sides to seal. Leave to rest for 5 minutes.
About this recipe
First published: May 2014