Chickpea and red lentil soup
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
$2.33 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red or white onion, chopped
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 cups reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 400g can no-added-salt chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped, plus extra, to serve (optional)
- 4 tablespoons low-fat Greek-style yoghurt, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Heat a large non-stick saucepan over medium heat for a few minutes. Add cumin and chilli. Cook for 1 minute or until seeds begin to release their aromas and ‘pop’.
Step 2 Add oil and onion. Cook for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Stir in lentils, stock, 1 1/2 cups water and tomato and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes or until lentils are softened.
Step 3 Use a food processor or stick blender to roughly purée soup. Return to pan. Add chickpeas and heat, adding 1/2 cup boiling water for a thinner consistency.
Step 4 Stir in coriander. Serve with a spoonful of yoghurt and extra coriander (if using).
About this recipe
First published: September 2013