Chilli beans and lentils on toast
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
$2.95 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- cooking oil spray
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Mexican chilli powder
- 400g can no-added-salt red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 400g can no-added-salt brown lentils, rinsed, drained
- 2 x 410g cans no-added-salt crushed tomatoes
- 250g frozen chopped spinach
- 1/3 cup sultanas
- 8 slices wholegrain bread, toasted, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Spray base of a large saucepan with cooking oil and set over medium–high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add ground coriander and chilli powder; cook, stirring, for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
Step 2 Stir in kidney beans, lentils, tomato, spinach and sultanas; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until thick and heated through. Spoon bean mixture onto toast and serve.
Buy small portions or blocks of frozen spinach, as these thaw into the chilli-bean sauce faster than a 250g block of frozen spinach does.
About this recipe
First published: November 2013