Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
40 mins (Hands-on time: 15 mins, Cooking time: 25 mins)
$0.35 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 80g reduced-fat canola table spread, melted
- 1/2 cup packed soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 50g dark chocolate, chopped
- 150g frozen mixed berries
- 2 teaspoons icing sugar or drinking-chocolate powder, to dust
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Coat a 20cm-square cake tin with a light spray of cooking oil; line tin with baking paper.
Step 2 Beat table spread and sugar with a wooden spoon. Add eggs and beat to combine. Fold milk, banana, cocoa and flours into egg mixture, then fold chocolate and berries into brownie mixture.
Step 3 Spoon mixture into tin and bake for 20–25 minutes, or until quite firm but not overcooked. Leave cooked mixture to stand in tin for 10 minutes. Slice into 16 squares. Dust brownies with icing sugar or chocolate powder, or both (2 teaspoons in total).
How we did it
- Halved the sugar and sweetened with a banana.
- Used 75 per cent less chocolate and added cocoa powder for richer flavour.
- Replaced butter with reduced-fat canola table spread to lower total fat and kilojoules.
- Swapped walnuts for mixed berries to cut fat.
Original version per serve (1 piece)
Total fat 4.4g
Sat fat 1.7g
Our version per serve (1 piece)
Total fat 20.5g
Sat fat 11.7g
If you want your brownies to be slightly soft and have fudge-like centres, make sure you don’t overcook the raw mixture.
Freeze very ripe bananas in their skins. When you need to use them, just thaw and peel!
About this recipe
First published: November 2013