Chicken, chickpea and tomato curry
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
$4.94 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- cooking oil spray
- 500g chicken breast fillets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup Curry paste
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 400g can no-added-salt chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 3 cups steamed basmati rice, to serve
- 4 tablespoons low-fat natural yoghurt, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Spray a large, heavy-based pot with oil and place over high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown. Transfer chicken into a bowl and set aside.
Step2 In the same pot, add curry paste, garam masala and curry powder. Stir to combine. Cook for a minute, then add tomatoes and lemon juice. Cook for 10 minutes over medium-high heat, or until curry has slightly darkened in colour.
Step 3 Return chicken to pot, along with chickpeas. Cook for 3–4 more minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Stir through baby spinach to wilt.
Step 4 Serve curry with steamed basmati rice and a tablespoon of yoghurt.
When first putting chicken in the hot pan, don’t stir or turn it too regularly as the chicken will sweat and this will prevent browning.
About this recipe
First published: May 2013