Tomato sauce base
Please log in to save or rate.
14 (makes 7 cups)
Time to make:
$0.65 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 brown onions, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 long red chillies, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 x 400g cans no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Heat olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent. Add garlic, chilli, cumin and cinnamon and cook, stirring for 1–2 minutes, or until fragrant.
Step 2 Stir in chopped tomatoes and some freshly ground black pepper. Increase heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15–20 minutes or until sauce has thickened and become darker in colour. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Add 1/2 cup each finely diced carrot and celery when first adding the onion to the saucepan for an added vegie boost.
- For added flavour and nutrients, you can throw in any vegies you have left in the fridge while it’s simmering.
Try these three hearty dishes using this base sauce recipe:
About this recipe
First published: March 2013