Ricotta and capsicum-stuffed chicken
Please log in to save or rate.
6 (4 dinners + 2 lunches)
Time to make:
$3.77 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 900g sweet potato, peeled, cut into 2cm-chunks
- cooking oil spray
- 250g fresh light ricotta
- 150g peeled roasted capsicum, not in oil, finely chopped
- 100g pitted green olives, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 6 x 150g chicken breast fillets
- 1/4 cup basil pesto, to serve
- 6 cups steamed greens (eg. beans, broccolini, zucchini), to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Place sweet potato onto tray and spray with oil. Roast for 25–30 minutes, or until golden.
Step 2 Meanwhile, combine ricotta, capsicum, olives and basil in a small mixing bowl. Season with ground black pepper. Slice a deep pocket into side of each chicken breast, being careful not to cut all the way through. Divide ricotta mixture between chicken breasts, stuffing into pockets and securing with a toothpick.
Step 3 Spray a large, non-stick frying pan with oil and place over high heat. Cook chicken for 2 minutes each side, or until golden brown. Transfer chicken onto a large baking tray, and bake for 10–12 minutes, or until cooked through.
Step 4 Drizzle some pesto over chicken. Serve with green vegies.
- Nutrition information, time to make and costings apply to main dinner recipe only.
- When plating, serve onto four dinner plates and into two lunch boxes so you have the right-sized servings.
Leftovers become lunch: Chicken, sweet potato and pesto salad
Cost per serve: $2.45
Time to make: 5 minutes
2 serves leftover Ricotta and capsicum-stuffed chicken (recipe above)
2 cups mixed salad leaves
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Slice chicken into 1cm-thick slices. Toss with leftover sweet potato, leftover steamed greens and mixed salad leaves. Whisk together pesto and lemon juice. Drizzle salad with pesto dressing.
TIP: Warm chicken in microwave for 1 minute before slicing. If you want a hot lunch, warm the rest of the salad for 1 minute. You can also add your favourite balsamic dressing.
- High protein, high fibre, low sodium
- 1943kJ/465cal, 49.4g protein, 16.0g total fat, 5.4g sat fat, 24.6g carbs, 13.9g sugars, 10.9g fibre, 451mg sodium, 220mg calcium, 3.7mg iron
About this recipe
First published: March 2013