Fennel, tomato and sausage rigatoni
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
30 mins (Hands-on time: 10 mins, Cooking time: 20 mins)
$3.75 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 500g rigatoni
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 375g extra-lean beef sausages
- 400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 cup reduced-salt chicken stock
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water, following packet directions, until tender. Drain then return to pan.
Step 2 Meanwhile, heat oil in a large, deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook onion, fennel, garlic and fennel seeds for 5 minutes, or until onion and fennel soften.
Step 3 Remove sausage casings. Add meat to pan, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until golden and cooked. Add tomatoes, paste and stock. Simmer for 10–15 minutes until thickened. Add sauce to pasta. Toss, then serve.
- You can freeze the sauce for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight. Reheat until boiling. Stir in your choice of cooked pasta.
- Pasta can sometimes take over the whole meal – so to keep a healthy balance, try serving this dish with a tasty, vegie-packed Simple mixed salad.
About this recipe
First published: March 2013