Pork posole (pozole)
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
2 hrs 5 mins (Hands-on time: 20 mins, Cooking time: 105 mins)
$5.30 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500g diced pork shoulder or scotch fillet
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 fresh long red chillies, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 cups reduced-salt chicken stock
- 400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup polenta
- 400g can no-added-salt chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 small avocado, chopped
- 125g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup fresh coriander sprigs
- lime wedges, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook pork for 5 minutes, or until browned. Add onion, chillies, garlic, cumin and ground coriander. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens.
Step 2 Add stock, 2 cups water, chopped tomatoes and polenta. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for 75-90 minutes, or until pork is tender. Add chickpeas and lime juice. Cook, uncovered, for 15 more minutes.
Step 3 Divide among serving dishes. Top with remaining ingredients. Serve with lime wedges.
- For a milder version, use only one red chilli or replace with green chillies.
- You can also garnish with thinly sliced green onions.
- The recipe is a cross between a stew and a soup so will still be a little runny when finished.
- Suitable to freeze at the end of step 2.
About this recipe
First published: June 2013