Coconut crème brûlée
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
45 mins (Hands-on time: 10 mins, Cooking time: 35 mins), plus overnight chilling
$1.59 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 1 3/4 cups skim milk
- 1/3 cup skim condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut essence
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons grated palm sugar or brown sugar
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 180ºC. Place four æ cup-capacity ramekins into a baking dish.
Step 2 Combine milk and condensed milk in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil then remove pan from heat. Stir in coconut essence. Add egg and egg yolks and stir until well combined. Strain mixture into the ramekins. Pour boiling water into baking dish to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for 30 minutes, or until firm. Place in fridge for 6 hours, or overnight.
Step 3 Preheat grill to high. Sprinkle each custard with 1/4 of the sugar and gently smooth the sugar over the surface of the custard with your finger. Grill until sugar caramelises, then serve.
- You can surround ramekins with ice during grilling, to help keep the dishes cold.
- You can also caramelise sugar with a kitchen blow-torch, these are available in specialist cooking stores.
Try serving brûlées with chopped fresh papaya and lime.
About this recipe
First published: July 2013