Slow-cooked beef, barley and vegetables
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
3 hrs 30 mins (Hands-on time: 30 mins, Cooking time: 180 mins)
$3.45 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 800g lean, beef chuck steak, fat trimmed
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 400g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups no-added-salt beef stock
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 6 cups chopped English spinach
- 6 slices multigrain bread
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 180ºC. Heat oil in a large, flameproof casserole dish over medium heat. Brown beef in 3 batches. Transfer to a plate. Cook onion, celery and carrot for 5 minutes. Add browned beef, garlic, thyme, tomatoes, stock, 2 cups water and barley. Stir to combine and bring to the boil.
Step 2 Cover and transfer dish to oven for 2-3 hours, or until meat is tender and barley is cooked. Add another cup of water after 2 hours if casserole looks a bit dry. Remove lid in last
30 minutes to thicken sauce if necessary. Add green beans in last 20 minutes of cooking.
Step 3 Fold spinach through casserole to wilt then serve with bread.
- This recipe serves six so you can pop spare serves in the freezer to enjoy later!
- This meal can also be cooked for 6-10 hours in a slow-cooker.
- Freezes well for one month.
About this recipe
First published: August 2013