Full ingredients list:
- cooking oil spray
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons Moroccan seasoning
- 400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 500g lean lamb mince
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 8 dried apricots, chopped
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 4 wholemeal pita breads, halved, to serve
- 4 cups mixed salad, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Spray a frying pan with oil and place over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add garlic and seasoning. Cook for 3–4 more minutes. Spoon half the onion mixture into a large bowl and set aside to cool.
Step 2 Add tomatoes and sugar to the remaining onions in pan. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until mixture reduces and thickens.
Step 3 Add mince, mint, apricots and breadcrumbs to cooled onions. Season with black pepper. Mix well using your hands, then shape mixture into 24 small balls.
Step 4 Spray another frying pan with oil and cook meatballs, in batches, until golden brown and cooked through. Serve meatballs in pitas with salad and sauce.
About this recipe
First published: April 2013