Date and ginger loaf
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
1 hr 15 mins (Hands-on time: 15 mins, Cooking time: 60 mins), plus at least 2 hrs soaking
$0.35 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 2 teaspoons dry instant coffee
- 1 cup boiling water
- 375g dried, pitted dates, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 cup self-raising flour
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Combine coffee and boiling water, then pour over dates. Allow to soak overnight, or for at least 2 hours.
Step 2 Preheat oven to 160°C. Line a loaf tin with baking paper and set aside. Stir ginger and flour into date mixture. Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake for 45–60 minutes (cake will be very moist, but an inserted skewer should come out clean).
Recipe supplied by Healthy Food Guide reader, Julie Page (NSW)
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free self-raising flour.
- Adjust the amount of ginger to your taste (you may prefer less than 1 tablespoon).
Julie says: “This is such an easy, no-fuss recipe. It’s egg-free and can be made gluten-free.”
About this recipe
First published: January 2012