Harissa beef stew with potatoes and cauliflower
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
1 hr 45 mins (Hands-on time: 15 mins, Cooking time: 90 mins)
$6.18 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 1 tablespoon harissa paste (see tip)
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 500g beef blade steak
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 75g button mushrooms, sliced
- 400g can no-added-salt tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-salt beef stock
- 1/2 head cauliflower, florets only
- 3 potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cornflour, mixed with 2 tablespoons water to make a paste
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 cups brown rice, cooked
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Place a heavy-based pot over medium-high heat and spray with oil. Once hot, add harissa paste, garlic and beef and cook until beef is browned. Add onion and mushrooms and fry until softened.
Step 2 Add all remaining ingredients, except cornflour, parsley and rice. Stir well then cover and simmer for 1½ hours, stirring occasionally.
Step 3 Just before serving, add cornflour paste and stir to thicken sauce. Serve stew with brown rice and garnish with parsley.
Find harissa paste at specialty or health food stores.
About this recipe
First published: April 2012