Thai pork with pickled carrots
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
40 mins (Hands-on time: 25 mins, Cooking time: 15 mins), plus 1 hr marinating
$7.09 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 240ml rice wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 4 red chillies, deseeded, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 cucumbers
- 500g lean pork fillet
- cooking oil spray
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 stalks lemongrass, chopped (see tip)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, to serve
- chopped fresh mint, to garnish
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Mix vinegar, 4 tablespoons honey, half the chilli and half the garlic in a bowl. Add carrot and toss gently. Marinate for 1 hour.
Step 2 Make cucumber ribbons: using a vegetable peeler, create long ribbons of cucumber. Chill ribbons in a bowl of iced water for 20 minutes to make them curl.
Step 3 Spray pork with oil. Place a frying pan over high heat and sear pork on all sides (about 2 minutes each side).
Step 4 Combine remaining chilli, garlic and honey with fish sauce and lemongrass. Rub mixture over pork. Place into a baking dish and roast for 15 minutes. Spoon over any cooking juices.
Step 5 Remove meat from oven, cover with foil and rest for 5 minutes. Remove cucumber ribbons from water and gently drain. Remove carrot from pickling juices. Thinly slice pork and serve with carrots, cucumber and rice. Garnish with mint before serving.
- To prepare lemongrass, remove the tough outer layer by flattening the stalk with the flat side of a large knife. Discard the outer layer, then finely slice the stalk.
- This recipe is not suitable for those following a low-sodium diet.
About this recipe
First published: October 2011