Nut-free chicken satay
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
20 mins, plus 1 hr marinating
$3.32 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 1/4 cup skim condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon tamarind purée
- 500g chicken breast fillets, cut into thin strips
- cooking oil spray
- 1 cup sliced cucumber
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli, deseeded, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 slices multigrain toast, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside. Combine condensed milk, cumin, curry powder and tamarind paste in a bowl. Add chicken and marinate for at least 1 hour.
Step 2 Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Thread chicken onto 8 metal or soaked wooden skewers. Place skewers on baking tray and spray with a little oil. Grill for 6–8 minutes, until chicken is tender and golden.
Step 3 Meanwhile, combine cucumber, cherry tomatoes, onions and chilli in a bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together rice wine vinegar and sugar, drizzle over salad and toss lightly. Serve skewers with salad and toast. Garnish with lime wedges and coriander, if desired.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free curry powder and bread, and check ground cumin is gluten free.
About this recipe
First published: October 2011