Steamed broccoli with pine nuts and currants
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
20 mins, prep 10 mins, cook 10 mins
$1.90 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 1/4 cup (40g) pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons (30g) currants
- 600g broccoli, cut into florets
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Place pine nuts into a frying pan over medium heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring, until golden. Remove from pan.
Step 2 Heat oil in the frying pan over medium heat and add onion. Cook for 5 minutes, until soft. Add currants and pine nuts and cook for 1 minute. Set aside.
Step 3 Meanwhile, steam broccoli for 3-4 minutes, or until tender. Drain. Toss with pine nut mixture and serve with Chicken cacciatore.
Serve as part of this special three-course Mother's Day lunch
Entrée: Cauliflower soup
Side: Steamed broccoli with pine nuts and currants
Main: Chicken cacciatore
2 hours before lunch
- Berry-misu: Prepare raspberry syrup and refrigerate. Beat together the cream and yoghurt. Store in the fridge.
- Cauliflower soup: Make soup and leave in saucepan, ready to reheat.
- Chicken cacciatore: Prepare main while soup is cooking. Leave in saucepan and reheat just before serving.
30 minutes before lunch
- Berry-misu: When the raspberry syrup is cool, prepare Berry-misu, minus the garnish, and store in the fridge.
- Steamed broccoli with pine nuts and currants: prepare side dish. Set aside and keep warm.
- Prepare the pasta for the Chicken cacciatore.
When ready to serve
- Reheat soup. Garnish with paprika and parsley before serving.
- Have the Chicken cacciatore simmering.
- Take the Berry-misu out of the fridge and sprinkle with chocolate curls and fresh berries.
About this recipe
First published: May 2011