Lamb and eggplant stew
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
1 hr 10 mins (Hands-on time: 15 mins, Cooking time: 55 mins)
$5.66 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced
- cooking oil spray
- 2 small onions, diced
- 500g lean lamb steak, diced
- 2 tablespoons turmeric
- 810g tin crushed tomatoes
- 4 gluten-free bread rolls
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 220°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Arrange eggplant on tray and spray with oil. Bake for 25 minutes, or until browned.
Step 2 Meanwhile, spray a large saucepan with oil and place over medium-high heat. Cook onion for 3–4 minutes, until soft. Add lamb to saucepan and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until browned.
Step 3 Add turmeric, tomatoes and cooked eggplant to pan. Stir gently to combine. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Season to taste and serve with warm bread rolls.
Recipe adapted from Bridging Foods by Sally Scott and Nicole Sjardin, published by Fremantle Press.
- Double the recipe and freeze the leftovers to use later in the week.
- Be sure to check your curry powder to make sure it is gluten-free. You can find gluten-free varieties in your supermarket.
About this recipe
First published: June 2011