HFG's chocolate chip cookies with nuts
Please log in to save or rate.
18 (makes 18 cookies)
Time to make:
25 mins (Hands-on time: 15 mins, Cooking time: 10 mins)
$0.23 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 100g reduced-fat table spread
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup plain wholemeal flour
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 180ºC. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
Step 2 Using an electric mixer, cream table spread and brown sugar together in a bowl until thick and creamy.
Step 3 Add vanilla, choc chips and walnuts; mix well. Add sifted flours (return husks from wholemeal flour to the bowl), oats and baking powder and mix until well combined.
Step 4 Drop teaspoons of mixture onto baking tray, allowing space for cookies to spread. Press down on each cookie with a fork, holding onto the sides to prevent it from crumbling (the mixture will be crumbly before baking). Bake for 8–10 minutes, until lightly browned on top. Cool for a few minutes on tray, then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
- You can use white, milk or dark chocolate chips in these cookies. Or use 1/2 cup raisins or chopped dried apricots instead of the choc chips.
- For a real treat, make ice-cream sandwiches with two cookies and a small scoop of low-fat vanilla ice-cream (or a teaspoon of reduced-fat peanut butter…yum!).
- Make it dairy free: Use dairy-free reduced-fat table spread and dairy-free chocolate chips or carob chips.
About this recipe
First published: June 2011