Chicken and cashew chow mein
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
27 mins, prep 15 mins, cook 10-12 mins
$5.38 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 440g fresh thin egg noodles
- 1/4 cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 400g chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 2 red capsicum, seeded, thinly sliced
- 300g snow peas, trimmed, sliced
- 1/4 cup roasted cashews, chopped
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Place noodles into a large heatproof bowl. Pour over enough boiling water to cover and set aside for 2–3 minutes to loosen. Drain well. Combine stock, soy sauce and rice wine. Set aside.
Step 2 Spray a large wok with oil and place over high heat. Stir-fry chicken in batches for 3–5 minutes, until golden and cooked through. Remove from wok and set aside.
Step 3 Return wok to high heat and spray with a little more oil. Add onion and garlic; stir-fry for 2 minutes, until golden. Add sprouts, capsicum and snow peas. Stir-fry for 3 more minutes. Add cooked noodles, chicken and rice wine sauce; toss until all ingredients are coated and heated through. Garnish with cashews before serving.
Make it vegetarian: Replace chicken with 400g firm tofu, cut into 2cm cubes.
About this recipe
First published: February 2011