Full ingredients list:
- 1/4 cup Chinese rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cornflour, plus 1 teaspoon extra
- 500g lean rump steak, thinly sliced across the grain
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- cooking oil spray
- 3cm piece ginger, peeled, cut into thin matchsticks
- 300g broccoli, cut into florets
- 6 green onions, trimmed, cut into 5cm lengths
- 4 cups steamed rice, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Place half the Chinese rice wine into a bowl with the sesame oil and 1 teaspoon cornflour. Add beef and toss until evenly coated. Set aside to marinate for 10 minutes. Place remaining Chinese rice wine, extra cornflour, oyster sauce, stock and sugar into a small bowl and stir until smooth. Set aside.
Step 2 Spray a large wok with oil and place over high heat. Add beef in batches and stir fry for 2–3 minutes, or until browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
Step 3 Return wok to high heat and spray with a little more oil. Add ginger and broccoli and stir-fry for 2 minutes, until tender-crisp. Add onion and stir-fry for a further minute. Return beef to wok with the reserved rice wine sauce and simmer for 2–3 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Serve immediately with steamed rice.
About this recipe
First published: February 2011