Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
45 mins (Hands-on time: 15 mins, Cooking time: 30 mins)
$5.67 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 500g lean beef mince
- 3/4 cup fresh sourdough breadcrumbs
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, lightly toasted, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup 97% fat-free semi-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- freshly ground black pepper
- 500g sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon skim milk
- 4 cups steamed green veg
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 160°C. Line the base and sides of a 10cm x 21cm x 7cm loaf tin with baking paper, allowing paper to overhang by 2cm on the two long sides.
Step 2 Place all ingredients (except sweet potato, milk and steamed greens) into a large mixing bowl. Using clean hands, mix until well combined. Spoon into loaf tin, pressing down firmly. Bake for 25 minutes.
Step 3 Meanwhile, steam sweet potato until tender. Remove from heat, add milk and mash until smooth. Keep warm.
Step 4 Remove meatloaf from oven, drain excess fat and return to oven for 15 more minutes, until meatloaf is firm and comes away from sides of tin. Allow to cool slightly before removing from tin (using paper handles) and cutting into thick slices. Serve with mash and steamed green vegetables.
- Meatloaf burger: Place a slice of meatloaf onto a wholegrain bread roll and top with baby cos leaves, tomato, beetroot and tomato relish.
- Mediterranean salad: Break meatloaf into bite-sized pieces and toss with mixed salad leaves, sliced black olives, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and low-fat Italian salad dressing.
About this recipe
First published: August 2011