Leek and bean soup with cheesy bread
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
$3.81 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 1 leek, white part finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes with roasted capsicum
- 2 x 400g tins cannellini beans, rinsed
- 2 cups shredded silverbeet
- wholegrain baguette, quartered, then halved
- 1/2 cup grated 50% reduced-fat tasty cheese
- 4 tablespoons light sour cream
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Spray a large saucepan with oil and cook leek over medium heat for 4 minutes, until softened. Spray pan with a little more oil, add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and 4 cups water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
Step 2 Meanwhile, preheat grill. Toast bread, sprinkle with cheese and grill again until cheese melts.
Step 3 Add beans and silverbeet to pan and cook for 5 minutes, or until silverbeet wilts. Top soup with sour cream and serve with cheesy bread.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free bread instead of a wholegrain baguette.
- Top soup with fresh basil before serving.
This recipe is not suitable for those following a no-added-salt diet.
About this recipe
First published: August 2011