Pepper steak with bread salad
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
25 mins, prep 10 mins, cook 15 mins
$7.45 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 4 slices day-old Italian-style bread, torn into 2cm pieces
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, halved lengthways, sliced diagonally
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 x 150g porterhouse or scotch fillet steaks, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- cooking oil spray
- 6 cups mixed lettuce leaves
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Make bread salad: place bread, cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, basil, oil and vinegar into a large bowl. Toss to combine.
Step 2 Sprinkle pepper on both sides of beef. Spray a chargrill pan with oil and place over medium-high heat. Cook beef, turning, for 7–8 minutes for medium or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate and cover loosely with foil. Stand for 5 minutes to rest.
Step 3 Serve beef with bread, salad and lettuce leaves.
You can add some roasted mushrooms or a cup of mashed cauliflower without overdoing the kilojoules. At just 35kJ per tablespoon, some tomato salsa is a great idea, too.
Eating a good quality piece of lean steak provides you with more than iron – it also helps lower the GI of your overall meal. Clever red wine vinegar not only tastes great, but has been shown to increase feelings of fullness. Don't like red wine vinegar? Any vinegar will do the trick.
About this recipe
First published: September 2010