Mexican-style prawn and avocado salad
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
35 mins, prep 20 mins, cook 15 mins
$4.41 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 1 corn cob, husk removed
- 24 green king prawns, peeled (tails intact)
- 1 tablespoon hot chilli sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, torn
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 medium green capsicum, thinly sliced
- 2 medium red capsicums, thinly sliced
- 400g can kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium avocado, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Barbecue or chargrill corn over medium-high heat for 8–10 minutes, turning, until charred and tender. Transfer to a plate to cool. Once cool, use a sharp knife to remove kernels.
Step 2 Chargrill prawns, turning, for 4–5 minutes, or until cooked through.
Step 3 Whisk chilli sauce, juice and garlic together in a small jug. Place corn, lettuce, tomatoes, capsicums, beans, onion and avocado into a large bowl and toss to combine.
Step 4 Top salad with prawns and drizzle with dressing. Garnish with coriander before serving.
According to a Journal of Nutrition study, tossing just 60g into your salad can significantly increase your nutrient absorption. Lime juice and coriander provide bundles of flavour for almost no kilojoules. Add more, if you please.
About this recipe
First published: September 2010