Cheesy cauliflower with crumbled bacon
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
30 mins, prep 10 mins, cook 20 mins
$2.81 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets (about 6 cups)
- 3 cups skim milk
- 3 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup 50% reduced-fat grated cheese
- 100g short cut bacon, trimmed, chopped
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 4 multi-grain bread rolls, to serve
- large green salad, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Steam cauliflower, until tender.
Step 2 Combine 1/3 cup milk with cornflour in a bowl. Heat remaining milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Add cornflour mixture and mustard; cook until sauce thickens. Add cheese and cauliflower; gently stir to combine. Season to taste, transfer to a baking dish and bake for 5–10 minutes.
Step 3 Meanwhile, spray a small frying pan with oil. Cook bacon for 4–5 minutes, stirring, until crisp. Add onion and cook for 1 minute more. Remove cauliflower from oven and scatter with bacon mixture. Serve with salad and rolls.
Replace the cauliflower with broccoli, or add steamed zucchini. Sprinkle with 50g crumbled blue cheese before baking.
About this recipe
First published: November 2010