Spicy chicken and chickpeas
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
25 mins, prep 15 mins, cook 10 mins
$3.93 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 skinless chicken breasts (400g total, chopped into large pieces)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 skewers, soaked in water
- Spicy chickpeas
- 410g can chopped tomatoes with basil and garlic
- 1 teaspoon Moroccan spice
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups button mushrooms, halved
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Make spice mix by combining garlic salt, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper and black pepper in a sealable container. Shake well to combine.
Step 2 Add chicken, lemon juice and oil to container. Seal and shake to coat chicken with spices. Marinate for at least 10 minutes.
Step 3 Meanwhile, place all Spicy chickpea ingredients into a saucepan. Simmer 5–10 minutes, until cooked through.
Step 4 Thread chicken pieces onto skewers. Barbecue or grill for 5–10 minutes, until evenly cooked. Serve with spicy chickpeas and a green salad.
You can make up larger quantities of the spice mix and use it to coat meat, sprinkle on vegetables or stir through couscous.
About this recipe
First published: May 2010