Eggplant and basil stacks
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
45 mins, prep 25 mins, cook 15-20 mins
$5.43 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 2 x 400g cans cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 cup gluten-free salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- cooking oil spray
- 2 medium eggplant, cut into 6 slices each, lengthwise
- 1 (150g) red capsicum, chargrilled
- 16 large fresh basil leaves
- 4 (160g combined) fresh (traditional size) bocconcini, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, cut into 8 slices
- 4 teaspoons pesto
- small basil leaves, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Place beans and stock in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil. Reduce to medium-low heat and simmer for 5–7 minutes. Remove from heat, add garlic and transfer mixture to a food processor. Process until smooth. Stir in lemon juice and olive oil. Set aside and keep warm.
Step 2 Spray a large frying pan with oil and place over medium-high heat. Cook eggplant in batches, for 5 minutes each side, until browned and tender. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
Step 3 Place 4 eggplant slices on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Top with capsicum, half the large basil leaves and bocconcini. Top each stack with another slice of eggplant. Layer on tomato slices, remaining basil leaves and bocconcini. Cover with remaining eggplant slices.
Step 4 Bake eggplant stacks for 5 minutes, or until the cheese melts. Drizzle 1 teaspoon pesto over each stack, garnish with basil leaves and serve immediately.
Serve with a salad of baby rocket, black olives and shaved parmesan cheese.
About this recipe
First published: May 2010