Spiced carrot and lentil soup
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
40 mins, prep 15 mins, cook 25 mins
$2.66 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 3 cups reduced-salt vegie stock
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1kg carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 4 tablespoons almonds, toasted, roughly chopped
- fresh coriander, to serve
- 4 pieces Turkish bread, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Add 1/4 cup stock to a large saucepan. Cook onions and garlic, until softened.
Step 2 Add caraway seeds, carrots and celery and a little more stock, if needed. Cook 8–10 minutes.
Step 3 Add remaining stock, lentils and 2 cups water. Bring to the boil and simmer 10 minutes.
Step 4 Purée soup in blender until smooth, but slightly chunky. Divide soup between bowls. Top with almonds and coriander. Serve with Turkish bread.
- Give this soup (and your taste buds) even more of a kick. Try adding grated ginger, a finely chopped chilli and a kaffir lime leaf.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free stock and serve with gluten-free bread.
This recipe is not suitable for those following a low-sodium diet.
About this recipe
First published: June 2010