Creamy tomato, bacon and mushroom pasta bake
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
55 mins, prep 15 mins, cook 40 mins
$4.34 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- cooking oil spray
- 300g fusilli pasta
- 1 head broccoli (about 300g), cut into florets
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 rashers (about 175g) shortcut bacon, trimmed, diced
- 250g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded, diced
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato pesto (we used Dolmio)
- 400g no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup light thickened cream
- 1/3 cup low-fat grated cheese
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 180ºC. Lightly spray an 8-cup capacity baking dish with oil. Cook pasta according to packet instructions, adding broccoli in the last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain well.
Step 2 Meanwhile, spray a large frying pan with oil and place over medium-high heat. Add onion and bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5–6 minutes. Add mushrooms and capsicum. Cook for a further 3–4 minutes, until mushrooms are golden. Reduce heat to low. Add pesto and tomatoes. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add cream and simmer for 2 more minutes.
Step 3 Add pasta and broccoli to pan and toss to combine. Transfer to prepared dish and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 15–20 minutes, until golden. Serve with salad.
About this recipe
First published: June 2010