Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
30 mins, prep 10 mins, cook 15-20 mins
$1.35 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons loosely packed brown sugar
- 3 cups chopped rhubarb
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Heat oil in a saucepan and sauté onion for 3-4 minutes over medium heat, until soft and slightly golden. Sprinkle over sugar and cook until onion starts to caramelize, about 5 minutes.
Step 2 Add rhubarb to saucepan. Mix well. Cover and cook over low heat for 8-10 minutes, until rhubarb becomes tender and just holds its shape.
Step 3 Stir in vinegar and cook for a few minutes more. Season with pepper, to taste. Serve with sliced meat (lamb, beef or pork) and steamed vegetables.
- Chutney can be stored in the fridge for up to four days.
- Only use the red stalks for cooking – the leaves are poisonous and must be discarded.
About this recipe
First published: July 2010