Easy sausage and silverbeet soup
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
45 mins, prep 15 mins, cook 25-30 mins
$3.23 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 375g (about 6) lean spicy beef sausages
- 1 baby fennel, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 x 400g cans no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 400g can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1/2 bunch silver beet, trimmed, finely shredded
- 4 multigrain bread rolls, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sausages. Cook for 5–7 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from pan, cool slightly and thinly slice.
Step 2 Add fennel, onion and garlic to saucepan. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, until vegetables soften. Add tomatoes, 2 cups water and beans. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer, uncovered, for 10–15 minutes, until soup thickens slightly.
Step 3 Return sausages to pan with shredded silver beet. Cook for 1–2 minutes, until sausages are heated through and silver beet wilts. Season to taste and serve with bread rolls.
- Any lean sausages would work here – try pork and fennel, chicken and herb or kangaroo.
- Try replacing diced tomatoes with a 400g can reduced-salt tomato soup.
About this recipe
First published: July 2010