Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
45 mins (Hands-on time: 10 mins, Cooking time: 35 mins), prep 10 mins, cook 35 mins
$3.51 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- cooking oil spray
- 250g wholemeal penne
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 150g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 415g can tuna in spring water, drained and flaked
- 125g fresh low-fat ricotta (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray a 1.5-litre capacity baking dish with oil. Set aside.
Step 2 Cook pasta according to packet instructions. Drain well.
Step 3 Meanwhile, spray a medium saucepan with oil and cook onion over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds, then add capsicum and mushrooms and cook for 2–3 minutes or until softened. Stir in tomatoes and 1/4 cup water and bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
Step 4 Combine pasta with tomato mixture and tuna, then transfer to prepared dish. Top with ricotta and bake for 20 minutes, or until bubbling. Serve with parsley.
Super short cut: Don’t bake it, just serve as a fresh pasta dish, topped with ricotta and parsley.
- Roasting vegies brings out rich, complex flavours, with no extra kJs.
- Cleverly hiding tuna in a saucy pasta bake boosts the fish intake of fussy eaters.
About this recipe
First published: January 2010