Meat and three veg
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
25 mins, prep 10 mins, cook 15 mins, plus 20 mins marinating
$3.66 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 x 125g lean pork loin steaks, trimmed
- 400g desiree potatoes, peeled, diced
- 400g cauliflower florets
- 1/3 cup skim milk, heated
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- steamed green beans, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Combine vinegar, mustard and garlic in a shallow, non- metallic bowl. Add pork and marinate, covered, for 20 minutes.
Step 2 Meanwhile, boil potatoes in a saucepan for 5 minutes, then add cauliflower and simmer for a further 6–7 minutes, or until very tender. Drain well, then return to saucepan and mash. Add milk and onions, then mix with a wooden spoon until creamy. Keep warm.
Step 3 Preheat a large chargrill pan or non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook pork for 3–4 minutes each side.
Step 4 Divide mash between 4 serving plates, top each with a piece of pork and serve with steamed green beans.
Super shortcut: Use microwaveable vegies, such as Heinz steam fresh veg mix. Also try using instant mashed potatoes.
- Half potato, half cauliflower, this mash has added vitamins and all the creaminess – but less kJs.
- A simple, no-fuss marinade using basic pantry ingredients means avoiding less healthy sauces.
About this recipe
First published: January 2010