Healthy beef burger
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
17 mins, prep 10 mins, cook 7 mins
$3.94 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 3/4 cup no-added-salt red kidney beans, mashed
- 350g lean beef mince
- 4 green onions, white part only, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh wholegrain breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- cooking oil spray
- 2 red onions, cut into 1cm thick rings
- beetroot slices and baby cos leaves, to serve
- 4 multigrain bread rolls, toasted, to serve
- 1/3 cup tomato salsa, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 In a large bowl, combine kidney beans, mince, green onion, breadcrumbs and egg. Using your hands, shape the mixture into 4 patties, approximately 1.5cm thick. Refrigerate, covered, for 15 minutes to firm.
Step 2 Spray a non-stick frying pan with oil. Over medium-high heat, cook patties for 4–5 minutes each side, or until just cooked through. Remove and keep warm. Spray pan with more oil and cook red onion for 2 minutes each side.
Step 3 Place baby cos and sliced beetroot on the base of each bun. Serve topped with a patty, onion rings and a spoonful of salsa.
Super shortcut: Double the batch of burgers and freeze them to use later in the week or in other meals. Simply defrost, cook and serve!
Lean beef patties cleverly disguise fibre-rich beans, onions and wholegrain breadcrumbs.
About this recipe
First published: January 2010