Moroccan chicken and chickpeas
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
30 mins, prep 10 mins, cook 20 mins
$3.75 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 2/3 cup brown rice
- cooking oil spray
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 eggplant, cut into 2cm cubes
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 600g chicken breast fillets, sliced into thick strips
- 2 teaspoons Moroccan spice
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- large green salad, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Cook rice according to packet instructions. Spray a saucepan with oil and cook onion over medium heat, until softened. Add eggplant and cook until softened. Add tomatoes and bring to the boil. Reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Step 2 Meanwhile, spray a frying pan with oil. Sprinkle chicken with Moroccan spice and cook for 3–4 minutes, turning once.
Step 3 Stir chickpeas into tomato mixture and heat through. Serve with chicken, brown rice and a large green salad.
- Add in minced garlic, ground cinnamon and fresh, chopped coriander for more flavour.
- For vegetarians, double the recipe and serve without chicken. Adding roasted vegies will give you even more nutrients.
To save time, use couscous, instead of rice.
About this recipe
First published: April 2010