Sweet and sour pork
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
25 mins, prep 10 mins, cook 15 mins
$2.93 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 350g lean pork schnitzel or steaks, thinly sliced
- 1 red capsicum, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, thinly sliced
- 425g can pineapple pieces in juice
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon dark reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 4 cups cooked rice, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Heat oil in a wok over high heat. Add pork; stir-fry until lightly browned. Add capsicum, onion and carrot; stir-fry for 5 minutes.
Step 2 Meanwhile, drain pineapple, reserving 1/2 cup of the juice. Add ginger, pineapple juice, soy sauce, vinegar, tomato sauce and brown sugar to wok. Combine. Cover and simmer for 5–10 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegies are tender crisp.
Step 3 Dissolve cornflour in a tablespoon of cold water and stir into sauce. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and serve immediately with rice.
Trimmed pork is as lean as skinless chicken, and is a good source of protein, thiamin, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium, riboflavin, zinc and omega-3. For the best texture, cook lean pork over medium heat.
About this recipe
First published: September 2009