Full ingredients list:
- 4 x 150g single skinless chicken breast fillets
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 400g can brown lentils, rinsed
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 3 slices soy-linseed bread, toasted, cut into 1cm cubes
- lemon wedges, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Combine chicken, balsamic and 1 garlic clove in a non-metallic bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerate for 15 minutes to marinate.
Step 2 Combine lentils, tomatoes, onion, parsley and remaining garlic clove in a glass bowl. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
Step 3 Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Lightly brush chicken with olive oil. Cook for 3 minutes each side or until browned and cooked. Transfer to a plate. Brush with mustard. Cover with foil and rest for 5 minutes.
Step 4 Add bread cubes tp lentil mixture, then divide salad between plates. Cut chicken into 1cm-thick slices and arrange over salad. Serve with lemon wedges.
About this recipe
First published: November 2009