Penne with bacon, tomato and spinach
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
$2.80 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 375g dried wholemeal penne pasta
- 1 medium brown onion, diced
- 100g rindless shortcut bacon rashers, thinly sliced
- 420g jar cherry tomato and basil pasta sauce
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons shredded fresh oregano leaves
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water according to packet instructions. Drain, then return to saucepan.
Step 2 Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and bacon. Cook for 7–10 minutes or until bacon is crisp. Add pasta sauce and 1/3 cup water. Cook for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Step 3 Add spinach and sauce to pasta. Toss to combine, then cook until heated through. Serve sprinkled with oregano.
- Use leftover shredded chicken instead of bacon.
- Flavour boost: add fresh chopped chilli in step 2.
About this recipe
First published: May 2009