Full ingredients list:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/4 cups medium-grain rice
- 2 cups salt-reduced chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 300g frozen seafood mix, defrosted
- 1 cup frozen shrimps, defrosted
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 8 cups salad, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Heal oil in a large, deep, non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, tomato and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add rice and stir to coat grains evenly.
Step 2 In a saucepan, heat stock and water until hot, then add to frying pan. Add turmeric and stir to combine. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The rice should retain its shape and be slightly firm.
Step 3 Add seafood and shrimps. Mix well to distribute evenly through rice. Cook for a further 8-10 minutes or until heated through. Add peas during final 5 minutes of cooking seafood. Season with pepper. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with salad.
About this recipe
First published: March 2009