Creamy chicken and vegies pasta bake
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
50 mins, prep 20 mins, cook 30 mins
$3.05 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 250g dried macaroni pasta
- olive oil spray
- 1 medium brown onion, finely diced
- 1 small leek, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 cup pea and corn mixture (frozen or canned)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken (1/2 barbecued chicken, skin removed)
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 375ml can light evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup light mozzarella cheese
- chopped oregano leaves, to serve (optional)
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside.
Step 2 Spray a large non-stick frying pan with olive oil. Heat over medium heat. Add onion and leek. Cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add peas, corn and chicken. Cook for 3–4 minutes. Add flour, stir to combine. Add milk and simmer for 1–2 minutes or until warmed through. Add pasta. Toss to coat. Remove from heat.
Step 3 Transfer pasta mixture to 4 x 2-cup capacity ovenproof dishes. Sprinkle over cheese. Bake for 15–20 minutes or until golden. Sprinkle with oregano, if desired.
Pasta bakes are a great way of using up leftover meat and whatever vegies you have in the fridge. Try canned tuna instead of chicken in this dish, and experiment with the vegies by keeping the quantities similar and using whatever you have available.
If you prefer, cook this recipe in a 8-10 cup-capacity ovenproof dish.
About this recipe
First published: June 2009