Chunky beef minestrone
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
35 mins, prep 5 mins, cook 30 mins
$4.51 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 300g scotch fillet steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 700g bottle tomato pasta sauce
- 2 cups reduced-salt beef stock
- 1 cup dried macaroni pasta
- 1/4 small green cabbage (280g), finely shredded
- 10g freshly grated parmesan
- Italian ciabatta bread, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Heat half the oil in a large, deep saucepan over medium heat. Add half the beef. Cook for 3–4 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a large plate. Cook remaining beef and transfer to plate.
Step 2 Heat remaining oil in same pan over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrot. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8–10 minutes or until tender. Add garlic. Cook for 1 minute. Add pasta sauce, stock and 3 cups water. Bring to the boil then simmer for 3 minutes.
Step 3 Add macaroni. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until pasta is cooked. Add cabbage and cook for 1–2 minutes or until tender. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with parmesan. Serve with torn ciabatta bread.
- If you're following a low-sodium diet, use water in place of beef stock.
- Make it vegetarian: Replace the beef stock with vegetable stock and substitute the beef with a 400g can of kidney beans or chickpeas. You’ll boost the fibre and save a little money, too!
About this recipe
First published: June 2009