Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
45 mins, prep 15 mins, cook 30 mins
$3.45 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 250g dried penne pasta
- olive oil spray
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 150g rindless shortcut bacon rashers, diced
- 100g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 100g Swiss brown mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 3 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup light evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 4 thick slices wholegrain bread, crusts removed, cut into 1cm cubes
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 180ºC. Cook pasta according to packet instructions. Drain. Set aside.
Step 2 Spray a large non-stick frying pan with oil. Heat over medium heat. Add onion and bacon. Cook for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in chives, half the mustard and half the parsley.
Step 3 Combine 1/4 cup evaporated milk with cornflour in a bowl. Add mixture, remaining milk and pasta to frying pan. Toss to coat. Remove from heat.
Step 4 Transfer pasta mixture to an 8-cup capacity ovenproof dish. Toss bread with remaining mustard and parsley. Scatter bread mixture over pasta. Bake for 15–20 minutes or until golden. Serve.
Pasta bakes are a great way of using up leftover meat and whatever vegies you have in the fridge. Try tossing sliced sausages through this dish, and experiment with the vegies by keeping the quantities similar and using whatever you have available.
About this recipe
First published: June 2009