Coq au vin
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
50 mins, prep 20 mins, cook 30 mins
$4.00 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 6 skinless chicken thigh fillets, trimmed, halved
- olive oil spray
- 2 rindless shortcut bacon rashers, trimmed, chopped
- 12 small eschalots (French shallots), peeled, halved
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 1/2 cup salt-reduced chicken stock
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste
- 200g button mushrooms, halved
- fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Place flour into a plastic bag. Season with pepper. Add chicken fillets and shake to coat.
Step 2 Spray a large saucepan with oil. Heat over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning, for 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
Step 3 Add bacon, eschalots and garlic to pan. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add wine, stock, thyme, tomato paste, mushrooms and chicken. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until chicken is cooked and sauce thickens. Remove thyme. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with mashed potato and steamed vegies.
- For a cheaper option, use cuts of chicken on the bone such as drumsticks.
- Can’t find eschalots? Use pickling onions, cut into quarters.
About this recipe
First published: July 2009