Braised lamb shanks with bean ragout
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
2 mins, prep 20 mins, cook 2 hrs
$4.65 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 Frenched lamb shanks, trimmed
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, trimmed, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 400g can lentils, drained, rinsed
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 6 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- oregano leaves, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 160°C. Heat oil in large flameproof casserole dish. Cook shanks until browned all over. Transfer to a plate. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic to pan. Cook, stirring, until softened. Add lentils, beans, tomatoes, tomato paste and 1 cup cold water. Bring to the boil. Remove from heat. Return shanks to pan and add rosemary.
Step 2 Cover dish tightly with lid or foil. Transfer to oven. Bake for 90 minutes. Uncover, bake for a further 20 minutes or until meat is falling off the bone. Remove from oven. Remove and discard rosemary. Serve lamb shanks with bean ragout and sprinkled with oregano leaves. Serve with steamed green beans.
Use any beans you like: butterbeans or kidney beans will also work well.
Buy Frenched lamb shanks from your butcher.
About this recipe
First published: July 2009