Italian meatballs in tomato sauce
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
$4.12 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 400g lean beef mince
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 2/3 cup roughly chopped basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan
- 700g bottle Italian tomato sauce (we used Leggo's Sugo di Pomodoro)
- 400g dried penne pasta
- 8 cups green salad, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Combine mince, onion, breadcrumbs, half the basil and parmesan in a large bowl. Roll tablespoons of mixture into balls (there should be about 32 balls) and place onto a large plate. Cover and refrigerate mixture until required.
Step 2 Bring tomato sauce and 1 cup water to the boil in a large, deep saucepan. Add meatballs and cook, shaking pan occasionally, for 15-20 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.
Step 3 Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water following packet directions. Spoon pasta onto 4 serving plates. Top with meatballs and sauce. Sprinkle with remaining basil. Serve with salad.
About this recipe
First published: February 2009